Well, NBC dumped Donald Trump and have stated that the network would not be involved with or even air their jointly owned Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants.
However, the Miss Universe Organization stated in their official statement that they are disheartened by the recent events, but the show must go on.
“While world politics and other influences will undoubtedly play a role, the pageant will always seek to transcend controversy. It is unfortunate that recent events beyond our control have only served to negatively impact the women who participate in the pageant, our state directors, our sponsors and our fans. We want our supporters to know we remain committed to them and we will be conducting the pageant, regardless of the current situation.” the organisation stated in their official statement.
We have been given to understand that the pageant staff, which also operates the Miss USA and Teen USA competitions, are looking for new jobs unless they can find a suitable buyer for Miss USA.
Shandi Finnessey, Miss USA 2004 and the first runner-up to Miss Universe that same year, said that it’s incredibly unfortunate that it is not being televised this year.
If rumours are to be believed, then NBC had been looking for a way out of airing the show for some time, and this was the perfect out.
Ratings and ad revenue have slipped dramatically the last ten years and it costs a fortune to put this on. NBC kept it going for Apprentice, but now that is over with Donald Trump. The network is very clear that their association with him is over.
Ratings for the Miss USA pageant have bumped up and down from a high of 08.1 million viewers in 2005 to a low of 04.6 million in 2013.
Similarly Miss Universe attracted a high of 09.2 million in 2005 to a low of 03.8 million in 2013.
All said and done, finding someone to air the show would be a big challenge.
Thanks to Donald Trump, the fate of fifty one state beauty pageant winners, who were gearing up for the Miss USA pageant to be held on July 12, 2015, ...3.0